What You Will Need
- Paper plates
- Crayons or pencil crayons
- Pen or marker
- Canada’s Food Guide Canada.ca/FoodGuide
- Using a pen or marker, divide a paper plate into 4 sections by drawing a cross through the centre.
- Review each of the food groups found in Canada’s Food Guide. Remember: healthy, balanced meals include at least 3 choices but ideally 4 choices from each of the 4 food groups.
- Have your athlete draw their favorite foods from the 4 food groups onto each section of the paper plate. Have them create separate plates for a “healthy” breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- At meal times, using real foods, have your athlete portion out their plate the same way. Repeating the food groups to which each food choice belongs.
For an interactive activity, visit http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating-nutrition/healthyeatingsaine- alimentation/tips-conseils/interactive-tools-outils-interactifs/eat-wellbien- mangereng.php?src=ffoodguideeatwellplate_15&medium=banner_en&content= &campaign=topic_footer/p>