What You Will Need
- Any menu with pictures or have your young athlete make his/her own menus
- Use pictures of foods in flyers from your local grocery store or old magazines
- Paper plate or toy plate
- Disposable cup or toy cup
- Toy cutlery if available
- Use menu provided or have him/her make menus with pictures of vegetables and dinners from flyers or magazines.
- Help him/her to set up a play kitchen and restaurant area with play food or pictures of food.
- Encourage him/her to set the table with a plate, cup, napkin, and toy cutlery if available.
- Encourage him/her to take turns being the server, cook, and customer. Encourage him/her to order foods from the different food groups.
This can be a great opportunity to teach proper table manners such as sitting down at the table to eat, not talking with food in his/her mouth (to decrease risk of choking), and not taking food from someone else’s plate unless invited to do so.