Recipe From: www.kidshealth.org Better Food for Kids: Your Essential Guide to Nutrition for all Children from age 2 to 6 WRITTEN BY: Joanne Saab, RD and Daina Kalnins, RD
- Cans beans: 2 x 500 ml drained
- Corn Niblets: ½ cup (125 ml) frozen
- Onion: 1 cup (250 ml) chopped
- Brown rice: 1 cup (250 ml) cooked
- Bay leaves
- Jalapeno jack cheese: ¼ cup (50 ml) shredded
- Cloves garlic: 4 minced
- Cumin: ½ tsp (2 ml)
- Cilantro: 1 tbsp (15 ml)
- Chili powder: ½ tsp (2 ml)
- Tomatoes: 450 mL diced (low sodium)
- Red pepper: Flakes to taste (optional)
- Pot for cooking rice
- Sauté ¾ cup (175 ml) onions, garlic, and bay leaves in oil.
- Add black beans, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and corn.
- Simmer until heated through and flavours meld.
- Make a mold of cooked rice on a platter.
- Pour bean mixture over the rice.
- Garnish with ¼ cup (50 ml) chopped onions.
- Sprinkle cheese over the beans.
- Serve with steamed vegetables like broccoli.
Calories: 307 |
Protein: 15 g |
Fat: 3 g |
Carbohydrate: 55 g |
Fibre: 12 g |
Sodium: 765 mg |
Calcium: 157 mg |
Iron: 3.4 mg |
Make it a Lunch?
Serve leftovers in a whole wheat pita or wrap with chopped veggies and yogurt