Recipe From: Dietitians of Canada - Great Food Fast by Bev Callaghan, RD and Lynn Roblin, RD (published by Robert Rose) © 2000 Dietitians of Canada
- Rice noodles: 3½ oz (99 g) (half a 7 oz [210 g] package)
- Chicken: 12 oz (375 g) shredded cooked
- Cucumber: 2 cups (500 ml) diced
- Carrots: 2 cups (500 ml) shredded
- Green pepper: 1 cup (250 ml) julienned
- Cilantro: ¼ cup (50ml) finely chopped
- Fish sauce: 1/3 cup (75 ml) or sodium-reduced soya sauce
- Rice wine vinegar: ¼ cup (50 ml)
- Lime juice: 2 tbsp (30 ml)
- Curry paste: 1 to 2 tbsp (15-30 ml)
- Granulated sugar: 2 tsp (10 ml)
- Garlic: 1 tsp (5 ml) minced
- Sesame oil: 1 tsp (5 ml)
- Peanuts: ½ cup (125 ml) chopped (optional)
- Large cooking pot
- Large & small mixing bowls
- Pasta strainer
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook noodles for 5 to 8 minutes or until barely tender; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add chicken, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, and cilantro.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, blend together soya sauce, vinegar, lime juice, curry paste, sugar, garlic, and sesame oil.
- Add dressing to noodle mixture; toss to combine. Sprinkle with peanuts, if using.
- Have this salad with a serving of fruit-flavoured yogurt to increase calcium intake.
Calories: 214 |
Protein: 19.4 g |
Fat: 4.8 g |
Carbohydrate: 23.1 g |
Fibre: 1.8 g |
Sodium: 594 mg |
To ensure a ready supply of cooked chicken for recipes like this one, cook whole chickens when you have time on the weekend. Cut up and freeze in 1 up (250 ml) portions to use as needed.