Fuelling With Fluids
Staying hydrated makes sure that athletes can best perform in sport, school, work and at home. Fluids play an important role in our body, performing a variety of tasks, including:
- Improving body functioning on every level including cognition, digestion, muscular functions, and joint lubrication.
- Removal of waste products and transporting nutrients.
In addition to daily fluid needs , hydration before, during, and after sports help athletes perform at their best and prevents heat-related illness and injury. It’s important to follow this 3-step plan for the best hydration tips around sport.
STEP 1 - Pre-hydration Primer
- Drink at least 1 to 2 cups (250 to 500 mL) of fluid approximately 1 to 2 hours before practice or competition.
STEP 2 - During-Sport Drinking
- Drink at least 2 to 3 large gulps of fluid (water is best) every 15 to 20 minutes. This is especially important in the heat.
STEP 3 - Post-Sport Refill
- Replacing fluids should be a top priority. Aim for a minimum of 1 to 2 cups (250 mL to 500 mL) of water or milk right away and in the hours following exercise.
First Place Fluids
Water and milk are the best fluid choices. For variety, add orange, lemon, or cucumber slices to your water.