Recipe From: The Hospital for Sick Children- Better Food for Kids: Your Essential Guide to Nutrition for all Children from age 2 to 6 WRITTEN BY: Joanne Saab, RD and Daina Kalnins, RD
- Ground beef: 1 lb (500 g) extra-lean or turkey
- Eggs: 1 beaten
- Green pepper: ¼ cup (50 ml) finely chopped
- Onion: 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped
- Bread crumbs: ¼ cup (50 ml) or small-flake rolled oats
- Dried basil: ½ tsp (2 ml)
- Dried oregano: ½ tsp (2 ml)
- Mozzarella cheese: 6 slices
- Wheat hamburger buns: 6 split and warmed
- Tomato sauce: ½ cup (125 ml) or pizza sauce
- Barbeque or broiler.
- Large Mixing bowl
- In a bowl, combine beef, egg, green pepper, onion, breadcrumbs, pizza sauce, basil, and oregano. Do not over-mix.
- With moistened hands, shape mixture into 6 evenly-shaped flat patties. (For younger athletes, you may wish to make a larger number of smaller burgers).
- Grill on a pre-heated barbeque or under the broiler for about 5 minutes per side or until well done and centre is no longer pink.
- During last few minutes of cooking time, top each burger with cheese; cook until cheese starts to melt.
- Serve on warm buns with side salad and glass of milk.
Calories: 441 |
Protein: 26.1 g |
Fat: 24.8 g |
Carbohydrate: 26.7 g |
Calcium: 28% VQ |
Iron: 31% VQ |
Substitute ground beef with vegetarian ground “meat” called “ground round”. This is found in the vegetarian section of
the grocery store.